Top tips for using the Tools for Talking:
- Watch the video to familiarise yourself with the topic
- Read the instructions for support workers
- Prepare the materials
- Think about how to capture the preferences expressed by the service user during the activity (not all the preferences will be captured on the worksheets and posters)
- Think about how you will end the activity and how you will act on what was discussed during the activity.
- Watch the video with a service user
- Complete the activity with the service user
- Encourage discussion and reflection – ask the service user to explain their choices and describe what is important to them
- Collaboratively identify areas for development and discuss how to achieve goals
- Use the planning worksheet to help develop and record any plans.
- Think about what you have learned
- Plan how you might respond to areas identified for development
- Plan a follow-up to review progress
- Plan a follow-up to review changes in preferences.